Monday

Urban Toponymy

I love houses and I love Calgary. Recently, I have been reading books about Calgary's historical homes & buildings. I came across a word I was unfamiliar with, "Toponymy".

Like we do, I googled the word and learned that Toponymy is the scientific study of place names, their origins, and meanings. wikipedia

Urban Toponymy goes deeper than just knowing your street is named after a famous dead guy.

What was the guy's religion; Catholic, Jewish, or Protestant? What are the histories of the names of the surrounding streets. Is there a pattern?

Are there any wealthy neighborhoods named after indigenous people? Why or why not? Any historic buildings named after settlers from minority communities? Why or why not?

Urban toponymy is indeed interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment